Wednesday, June 28, 2006

My Great Uncle Bill invented Chevy's cruise control!

For real! I found this out over the weekend. The standard cruise-control-on-turn-signal design was a product of my kin. Uncle Bill worked for a design company so he didn't get the riches he undoubtedly deserved, but his name is on the patent for all of history to see. I find this to be highly impressive.

Perhaps even more impressive is that my great uncle doesn't have any sort of formal licensing or even a college degree. He was apprenticed to an engineer and learned all he needed to know in the field, so to speak. Which brings us to our overpopulation connection:

The days when you could succeed in life by taking the path of Uncle Bill are over. In an age when you can get a degree in turf management (!), you must know what you want to do early and you must go to school for it. Because if you don't, someone else will. I'm sad to live in a time when you can't just apprentice yourself out anymore. If Chevy was to look at a young Uncle Bill's resume today, they most likely wouldn't accept him. The result? Their cruise control design would be as lame as that on my Dodge Neon.

Comments on "My Great Uncle Bill invented Chevy's cruise control!"

 

Blogger Miffed67 said ... (1:18 PM, June 28, 2006) : 

Wow, you are SO right. I don't know how many times I've come across the most entry-level of jobs that required a degree. I mean, stuff like working at an insurance co. as a claims adjuster! It's crazy!

 

Blogger britpopbaby said ... (1:20 PM, June 28, 2006) : 

Okay I have a really fucking scary story on this topic but it's too long to post here so I'll do it on Gin Harpy.

On another story we don't have Chevys or cruise control over here but I'm trying to imagine the greatness of this discovery for you.

 

Blogger Becky Heineke said ... (1:23 PM, June 28, 2006) : 

I know! It's totally gotten out of hand. And you can get a degree in anything these days! I saw a commercial last night for a school where you learn how to pimp out cars. What? There's a school for that now?! When will it end?!! :)

 

Blogger Becky Heineke said ... (1:25 PM, June 28, 2006) : 

Um, britpop, I can't really equate it to anything off hand because I don't know much about your crazy cars that drive on the wrong side of the road. Uhhh...yeah, I got nothing. Now I'm all intrigued by your story.

 

Blogger Nothing Really Matters said ... (3:20 PM, June 28, 2006) : 

Thats a real cool story PG.

 

Blogger britpopbaby said ... (6:37 AM, June 30, 2006) : 

It's okay - neither do I. All I know is that my car is sexy and Italian even though it's called a 'Panda'.

 

post a comment

Disclaimer: The contents of this blog are based solely on the opinions the author who is not affiliated with anyone. At all. Except herself. This blog is strictly for entertainment purposes. The author would never claim to be anything less than an open liberal, but she's not operating a news organization here. In fact, it's possible she's full of crap (possible, but not likely).

Powered by Blogger