Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Into each generation...

Wow, that post from yesterday was terrible. Keep that graph in mind, though, because you'll see it again. I'll write something witty and engaging and show a chart you can actually read and then you'll be pondering. Mark my words! I'll also probably go back and delete the first graph when no one is looking. Shhhh. Don't tell.

So today I'm going to complain about something a little more low-key but no less alarming. You may recall that several years ago, a cheesy vampire movie hit theaters to mediocre reviews. Rather than letting the concept die, the premise was remolded to fit television and a series was born. No, I'm not talking about Buffy! I'm talking about Blade. (Don't worry; you haven't missed it. It premiers tomorrow.)

Check out non-Wesley-Snipes looking a lot like Wesley Snipes. Why is this alarming, you may ask? Because we've done this before. Because it says something about our television habits if Spike-TV can afford to produce a slick vampire production. Because I don't care that "Blade" was originally conceived for TV. Because Blade was a freaking trilogy in movie-form!

Fifty years ago, America had three television networks. A few billion people later and look where we are. We don't need "Blade: The Series." Or maybe I'm just bitter that "Buffy" is no longer on that air. Now THAT was television!

For those looking for a bit more substance, AOL reports on Bush's supposed abuse of power. And it only took them 6 years to get the story. That's what's called "ace reporting."

Comments on "Into each generation..."

 

Blogger Nothing Really Matters said ... (3:59 PM, June 27, 2006) : 

I never saw that film. But i did love buffy. There was talk of a film, but thats never going to happen!

 

Blogger Becky Heineke said ... (4:04 PM, June 27, 2006) : 

I know, that makes me so mad! The original movie was SO BAD. I thought it would be a great chance to redeem the premise on the big screen, but I think SMG didn't want to do it or something. Shame. :(

 

Blogger Linna said ... (4:26 PM, June 27, 2006) : 

Oh, LOVE the heading!! Into every generation a slayer is born... I'm getting all fussy inside, I miss Buffy!!And I can report that the Buffy-beginner at work is loving it too!! :) Like that surprises us ;)

Now I have to go back and read the rest, I never got that far...

 

Blogger Linna said ... (4:41 PM, June 27, 2006) : 

And I can't even quote right... Is it OK if I blame the fact of just getting home from work for that?

And honestly, I'm not that surprised about Bush. What's more surprising to me is that it got to the news at all, I kind of thought he had them "under control"... Hopefully it will lead to some dire consequences!! I don't know much about your legal system, so I have no idea what can be expected, but I hope it's good (for us - BAD for him!!)

 

Blogger Becky Heineke said ... (9:11 AM, June 28, 2006) : 

I probably misquoted myself. I spent WAY too much time contemplating the title because I know that what's used on promotional material is not the same as what's on the actual show which is not the same as what's used in the books. It's all so confusing! "Each" or "Every," I don't even know! But you got the reference, so I guess it doesn't really matter. :) I think all this really means is that I should spend some quality time with Season 1 in the near future...

Damn, I miss that show. But yeah, we'll have to see what comes out of this thing with Bush. I'm sure it will be nothing, but it gives me hope seeing things in print. FINALLY.

 

post a comment

Disclaimer: The contents of this blog are based solely on the opinions the author who is not affiliated with anyone. At all. Except herself. This blog is strictly for entertainment purposes. The author would never claim to be anything less than an open liberal, but she's not operating a news organization here. In fact, it's possible she's full of crap (possible, but not likely).

Powered by Blogger