Sunday, June 18, 2006

AN INCONVENIENT TRUTH

See this movie. No excuses.

The reviews you've heard/read most likely have told you that this film is depressing and no time is spent explaining how to reverse or at least halt the devastating effects of global warming.

That's not true.

We have to realize that, in America at least, we are bombarded by information from a conservative media that claims to work under a liberal agenda. Very little of the information in this movie was new to me personally; the information is out there, but it's not presented to the general public in the readily accessible form that it should be.

Take, for instance, the check-out boy at Best Buy who, upon hearing that we had just been to see this movie, told my mother and I, "See, global warming is a joke because the temperature has been going up since the last Ice Age."

Do not be this boy. Do not be the person who says something stupid under the impression that you know what you're talking about. You are perfectly able to educate yourself and not be the subject of ridicule in your place of employment. Al's making it easy for you...all you have to do is go to the movies.

Like he so clearly states throughout the film, this is not a question of whether we have to compromise economics for our environment. This is a question of whether or not civilization is going to survive the inevitable effects of human activity should no changes be made. And we're talking BIG changes, people.

So see this movie. The least you can do for yourself is be informed.

Comments on "AN INCONVENIENT TRUTH"

 

Blogger Nothing Really Matters said ... (12:34 PM, June 18, 2006) : 

Another case for planting more trees! And stop pumping so much crap into the air, it making building really nasty, that’s what it’s doing to your insides people!

 

Blogger britpopbaby said ... (1:30 PM, June 18, 2006) : 

I used to be such a good little enviromentalist but now my attitude is the powers that be aren't doing fuck all about so why should I bother. I don't mind riding in the handbasket as we plummet towards hell. Or, ideally, riding the nuclear bomb cowboy style. The sooner the human race dies out the better - then the dolphins, etc can live in peace.

Sorry. I will watch the film. When is it out in the UK? Is not like a Michael Moore documentary is it?

 

Blogger britpopbaby said ... (1:30 PM, June 18, 2006) : 

Sorry, I asked you when it was out in the Uk like you were the film guide or something. I can find out on my own.

 

Blogger Becky Heineke said ... (2:04 PM, June 18, 2006) : 

The sooner the human race dies out the better - then the dolphins, etc can live in peace.

Heh. Good call. :) No, it's not at all Michael-Moore-esque in nature. You just sort of sit back and let Al Gore tell it like it is. And he's actually pretty funny. I tried to find when it was coming out in the UK, but (as usual), American release dates seem to be all the rage. So, yeah, I have no idea. But when/if I find out, I'll let you know and then I'll expect ticket stubs from both of you for confirmation.

 

Blogger Becky Heineke said ... (2:05 PM, June 18, 2006) : 

^^^ I hope you know I'm full of shit because I'm sure half my friends here won't go see it and they get my bullying face-to-face. :)

 

Blogger Ninni said ... (3:21 AM, June 19, 2006) : 

Damn, I really wanted to see this movie but eh, my local movie theatre is still playing stuff like Walk the Line and Brokeback Mountain so somehow I have a feeling it'll take a while before this reaches the theatre.

People who claim global warming isn't happening are such strange creatures. I never quite understood such level of denial but whatever works for them I guess.
And dolphins are probably going to abandon Earth sometime soon, kinda like in that book....Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy or something like that. Smart creatures.

 

Blogger matt of comooxdom said ... (7:12 AM, June 19, 2006) : 

I have a composter and plan to make sock monkeys' out of old socks. Does this count?

 

Blogger Becky Heineke said ... (7:42 AM, June 19, 2006) : 

^^^Ha! It's a start!

Wesntia, you can still see Brokeback on the big screen?! I'm very jealous, but yeah, it'll probably be a while. :(

And Joyce, I agree that it's unlikely all humanity will disappear, but a big change is in store. By the end of this century, we could see sea levels rise to the point that hundreds of millions of people have no place to live. Likewise, scientists estimate that within the next 50 years, the population will likely be above 9 billion (!). More people + less land = major changes in store. Dude, that's within our lifetimes! Scary.

 

post a comment

Disclaimer: The contents of this blog are based solely on the opinions the author who is not affiliated with anyone. At all. Except herself. This blog is strictly for entertainment purposes. The author would never claim to be anything less than an open liberal, but she's not operating a news organization here. In fact, it's possible she's full of crap (possible, but not likely).

Powered by Blogger