Sunday, June 11, 2006

Holy Mother of God! A Complete Overhaul!!

I think it's quite obvious to anyone who has visited this page in the past that I am completely and totally nuts. Take, for instance, this weekend, in which, feeling a little under the weather, I spent my time not resting in bed, but reformatting this blog. And not that you care, but due to my compulsive need to elaborately explain my rationale, I present to you this neat and enumerated list (and will be in no way offended if your current thoughts are along the lines of, 'Prophecy, shut the hell up,' and don't read this, but instead peruse my increasingly professional-looking template):

1. I based the last design entirely on this one O.C. wallpaper offered up by the fine people at E4.
I mean, that's fine for you people who live in a world where shows don't always start on the hour and your commercial breaks are short and oddly distributed, but for me? Aw, hell no. I don't watch The O.C. on E4! Thus, perhaps this was not the best source to work from.

2. I was digging through my CD collection (hey, CDs! remember those?) and ran across The O.C.: Mix 1. Yeah, that's right. I own it and am proud to admit it. You should go buy it. It's some good stuff. Also, the front and back cover will forever look very familiar to you:
Damn! I continue to amaze myself with my ability to rip-off the hard-working graphics staff who pull off this show. People probably think I'm obsessed with The O.C., but in reality, it's just that their design staff is top notch. This blog would look way weird if I utilized a Buffy theme. Plus, I like to think the whole "O.P." "O.C." thing was a stroke of genius. If you don't agree, you should probably know I don't take criticism well.

3. I'm political. I can't help it and apparently there's no way around it. I started this blog with every intention of it being a tongue-in-cheek look at the (mostly) disasterous world of pop culture. But I like statistics and ranting too much and Lord knows I'm a sucker for context reflecting content. Check out how I used a paper sack as the backdrop. That is so topical.

4. So, yeah. Basically everything will continue as usual with no big changes except now you have more liberal propaganda links to click through and there are two sidebars. I must now retire to my bed where hopefully I will recover by tomorrow, for I have some things to say about that Brangelina baby.

Comments on "Holy Mother of God! A Complete Overhaul!!"

 

Blogger Nothing Really Matters said ... (2:24 PM, June 11, 2006) : 

Oh you just can’t stop can you! I like the first wallpaper of the O.C. The O.C was on again today and I saw it yay. I did get a little confused with the two sidebar thing! U should write a book on blog design! I would buy it!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:00 PM, June 11, 2006) : 

Cool new look!
And great links, or whatever you call it, in the left side bar! In short - I just like you're whole idea; politcal + sarcasm/cheekyness!

(I so hope that's what you're going for so that is the compliment it's supposed to be...) :)

 

Blogger Becky Heineke said ... (3:09 PM, June 11, 2006) : 

Thanks, both of you! Yeah, linna, that was precisely what I was going for, so I'm most pleased that's what you got out of it. I'm going for a bit smarter snark instead of just out and out complaining. Oh, I'm so happy with everything!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:19 PM, June 11, 2006) : 

Then I'm glad too! :)

I'm doing an essay about overpopulation at the moment, and this page is great as a vent (do you call it that in english?, one of those things that lets air out so it doesn't explode... (whatever "it" is)...), for reassurance that it IS an important topic (which my teacher does not seem to be convinced about), and for inspiration! So lot of thanks to you!!

 

Blogger Becky Heineke said ... (3:52 PM, June 11, 2006) : 

Vent is SO the right word! I think we're kindred spirits! :) I am hugely concerned about overpopulation and the havoc it is currently wreaking on our planet (but I guess that's obvious). So many people think it's not really a problem, but clearly they're wrong. You'll have to keep me posted on your paper and the reaction to it. I would love to read it, although if it's not in English, I would hate to make you translate it just for me. Being typically American, I know no language other than my own. :( Hey, thanks for the support! I love finding people who share my viewpoints. I live in a pretty conservative area and sometimes forget that the entire world isn't completely crazy. :)

 

Blogger Miffed67 said ... (4:31 PM, June 11, 2006) : 

LOVE the new look, dahling!

Awww, you're sick? I'm sorry! Here's some chicken soup for you...unless you're of the variety that can't keep anything down right now....in which case, make that Pedialyte!

 

Blogger Becky Heineke said ... (5:21 PM, June 11, 2006) : 

Aw, thanks miffed! I'm more cold-allergy sick so I'll take that chicken soup. Yum.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (2:28 AM, June 12, 2006) : 

Hey, thanks! :) Now you've made me all inspired to actually get a grip of myself and continue with that paper! I need that! It's all sunny and warm here at the moment, and I'm kind of tempted to spend my days in the sunbed at the balcony, but now, when I have a supporter, that just seems wrong ;) I'll just bring my books and my laptop with me!!

The paper is, or is supposed to be, about linkages between reproductive rights, overpopulation and environment, but I have yet to figure out some smashing research question that captures the problems and the tension between the issues. I'll work on that and defenitely keep you informed about it; I now consider you an official supporter of my paper! ;)

 

Blogger britpopbaby said ... (4:26 AM, June 12, 2006) : 

OMG! I fucking love it! That banner is the shit. Why am I swearing so much today?

Off to explore the new look some more!

 

Blogger Ninni said ... (5:49 AM, June 12, 2006) : 

The new layout looks really good. The previous one was great too but I think I prefer this one..
Btw, the banner reminds me of that one Nirvana album cover: http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/B000BISBES.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

 

Blogger Becky Heineke said ... (7:47 AM, June 12, 2006) : 

linna, yes, official supporter right here! Damn, your topic is beautiful. When you come up with brilliant all-encompassing question, I want to hear it. Oh, I wish I could work outside! Now I'm all jealous.

britpop, thanks! You keep raising the blogging standard and I just have to try to keep up. :)

wesntia, you are so right! I hadn't actually run across that before but I'll have to consider it my unintentional inspiration. Crazy! :)

 

Blogger matt of comooxdom said ... (7:50 AM, June 12, 2006) : 

ooooh so much to click on....

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:52 AM, June 12, 2006) : 

I wish I could work outside too, it didn't go too well today :( Instead of bringing my books and my laptop out in the sun, I just brought myself, my bikini and my iPod... I think I could qualify as one of the laziest students ever... However, if I ever make any progress on this paper, you'll be the first to know!! Thanks for the support, though!! I really do need it... :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:53 AM, June 12, 2006) : 

Hope you're feeling better, too! Did that chicken soup do the trick? ;)

 

Blogger Becky Heineke said ... (12:02 PM, June 12, 2006) : 

I am feeling much improved (thank God!). I still feel like going to sleep, but I can't honestly say that's much different than any day at work. Oh my God, laying out with an iPod! That is how I spend most of time outside during the summer months. It is truly the height of luxury and you would be more than human if you could be productive in such a situation!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:13 PM, June 12, 2006) : 

Sounds very familiar with the "going to sleep whilst at work" -feeling, have that way too often myself... Combined with "I'm so bored I could just kill myself" -feeling. Hope you don't suffer from that! (trying to get used to considering the time difference - about lunch time where you are? It's evening here...)
This is so off topic, but is it a misconception or Americans not too intressted in soccer? Think your team is playing at the moment... My living room is definitely overpopulated by soccerfanatic males, and I've been deported to the bedroom (I guess for my own good...)
See, problems of overpopulaton can arise in the most private places! It's not just a question for the globe as a whole :)

 

Blogger Becky Heineke said ... (1:29 PM, June 12, 2006) : 

linna, sadly I am frequently afflicted with the "I'm so bored I want to kill myself" disease, but having a very active online social life has helped this considerably. There is no question that I spend more time talking to people on the internet each day than doing actual work...and it's a good thing my employers don't know about this site (or my MySpace page) or else I'd totally be fired. :)

And you are so right. Americans (as a whole) could care less about soccer. I'm not a sports fan on any level, personally, but soccer is the only game I can watch on TV and not go completely insane. But I couldn't tell you a single player on our World Cup team. Team USA is hoping some miraculous win will make the public care about their sport, but I think that's wishful thinking. I can't explain it. Americans are weird. I knew they were playing today, but I didn't know when. I guess I'm like 7 or so hours behind you??

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:41 PM, June 12, 2006) : 

Must be, it's 8.30 over here... And unfortunately the results of the soccergame won't help to spark America's interest, 3-0 to Czech Republic... But you guys win a lot of other stuff :)

Guess it sounds like I'm some sort of sports freak, which I'm most definitely not, I just happen to live with one...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (1:45 PM, June 12, 2006) : 

I do wish I had internet access at my job, it helps the time pass by doesn't it? It sure does for me when I'm supposed to study... That and sunshine makes time fly :)

As for your fans at this site, we'll take it as our mission to keep commenting and thereby trying to save you from the "so bored I could kill myself"-bug ;)

 

Blogger Becky Heineke said ... (2:49 PM, June 12, 2006) : 

Aw, the Czechs are killing us! This makes me very sad. :( I was hoping we would at least put up a decent fight. We do tend to go a bit nuts in the athletic department here...just not about soccer. American football has got to be the lamest game EVER but the Super Bowl is THE biggest thing on TV all year. I continue to be baffled by our culture at times.

And, yes, write me! Kill the boredom! My boss is out of town this week ("out of town" meaning in China) which means extra long hours of nothing. I'm not always this attentive, but when she's gone, I seriously have nothing to do. Sigh.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:13 PM, June 12, 2006) : 

Don't feel bad - Sweden couldn't score against Trinidad & Tobago and they're considered to be the worst team in the tournament, and one of their players got a red card, that is SO BAD!!

But that is probably not cheering you up... This time two negatives (both our countries suck) doesn't make a positive, or whatever...

I'm kind of amazed how we got from overpopulation to soccer, but I suspect that's my fault...

Btw, you a Buffy-fan? With the name, I mean? last ep of the first season, right? Cause if you are, we share another interest! :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:24 PM, June 12, 2006) : 

Going to China with work (meaning someone other than yourself pays for it all...) sounds excellent! How great would it have been if you were invited to come along?! Think of all the overpopulation-related material you could collect!! :)

Too bad you were just left with boredom and nothingness to do :(

 

Blogger Becky Heineke said ... (3:28 PM, June 12, 2006) : 

AH!! You're a Buffy fan, too!! This is too great! Yeah, I've always had a thing for the season finale of season 1 and I'm way impressed you caught the reference. :) The whole, "I'm 16 years old, I don't want to die" speech chokes me up every time. I was what you might call OBSESSED with that show. I've calmed down a bit since it went off the air, but I still like to bring it up whenever possible. Hey, random question, did you watch it in English or was it dubbed? I find the whole translation of American pop culture thing fascinating. So now we've gone from overpopulation to soccer to Buffy. Most random conversation EVER. I love it! :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:50 PM, June 12, 2006) : 

I'm totally obsessed with Buffy! The best show in the history of television!! Although, I have also calmed down a bit since it's not on anymore, but I have all seasons on DVD and just recently watched through them again. Absolutely freaking brilliant!!

The truth is I kind of had to buy them all, cause the stupid networks over here have their own definition of what a season is (about half of the real season, the same goes for the O.C, Lost and pretty much all the others), and one of the networks decided to stop airing the show after the season two final. Idiocy! You watch Buffy kill Angel and you're supposed to not be able to see the rest!?! That's not humanly possible!!

But, to answer your question, the broadcasted it all in English - with subtitles, so all the refrenses were there (only childrens movies and tv-shows are dubbed over here, we're such a small country I guess it would be too expansive to dub everything, for which I am mostly geratful!), but I'm not sure I got all of them anyway. But the ones I got are of course brilliant - they're such a big contribution to why the show is so great.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:53 PM, June 12, 2006) : 

I'm so excited! I feel like I've made a new friend today! :)
A politically aware and Buffy-obsessed friend! That's so cool! :)

 

Blogger Becky Heineke said ... (4:19 PM, June 12, 2006) : 

Oh, I know! I feel like we know each other even though we've only written back and forth of couple times. But still! There aren't many people out there like us, either! Oh my God, they stopped airing Buffy after she killed Angel?! That's the worst move I've ever heard of. I'm glad the world of DVDs has allowed you to see the rest of the story. I have a script of "The Body" signed by all the writers from the show and it just might be my most prized possession.

Do you watch Angel, too? I was never as into Angel as I was with Buffy, but I still have the whole series on DVD and never missed an episode when it was on TV. Man, I miss good television like that. By the way, I don't think I ever even asked you what country you're from?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:48 PM, June 12, 2006) : 

Yeah, this is so great!! Amazing that you can find such kindred spirits over the internet!! :)

If I were you, I'd sleep with that script under my pillow and treasure it dearly in a ritual every day ;)

I never got into Angel, I must admit.. I tried to follow the plots on the episode guides to see if there ever were cross overs with Buffy, and I have the eps from Angels' first season when Buffy comes to LA ("I will remember you" - now that's a tear jerker!!), but apart from that I never really got into it, and after a while it seemed like it got a bit weird (probably on purpose from Whedon, but still...)

Have to say, Buffy was hell of a show!! They just don't make television like that anymore ;) Still glad that they wrapped up while the show was still brilliant, but I do miss it!

I'm sorry, that's really bad of me not to introduce myself, I'm Swedish... Student and part-time supermarket-working (thereby the I'm so bored I could just kill myself"-experience). Being of not Englishspeaking decent, everything weird I write I blame it on English not being my first language ;)

And now, I regret to say I have to go to bed :( The soccer mafia that has been invading my home for the entire evening has finally left, and I try to imaging myself doing some actual work on that paper tomorrow, so, I'm off to bed... But this has been a fantastic day!! :) I'm so thrilled!! Maybe you'll be really bored at work again tomorrow and we can continue our Buffy conversation, like which is your fav season, and other extremely interesting topics!! :) Already looking forward to it!

Good night!

 

Blogger Becky Heineke said ... (9:26 PM, June 12, 2006) : 

I think tomorrow will be slow and if so, you and I clearly have MUCH to discuss. I am about to fall over with tiredness but SEASON 5! It's my fave!! I can quote "Buffy vs. Dracula" line for line. "Fool for Love" and "Intervention" are probably my two all-time favorites. Plus, anyone who can get through "The Body" or "The Gift" without tearing up has no soul. I'd say Season 2 after that...and Season 7 for my least favorite. "Selfless" and "Conversations with Dead People" were good, but damn, that season DRAGGED. And Sarah Michelle Gellar didn't really have her heart in it. OK, I must go to bed and I could talk about this for hours. Hey, do you have a MySpace page? Just wondering... :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:32 AM, June 13, 2006) : 

Good morning new found friend! :)Hope you had a good night's sleep!

Sorry, don't have a MySpace page, must confess that I'm pretty much a computer illiterate. I just recently discovered the beauty of the blogger phenomenon, so there, I said it; I'm way behind my times and could easily be mistaken for a person from the stone age ;) Getting the MSN messenger service was a revelation to me, but progress is being made, I even know how to use that :)

I think my favourite season was season 3, maybe because I was so happy that I could find out what happened after Buffy killed Angel after a VERY long time of waiting... But really, every season does have it's charm, altough I think 6 is my least favourite. "Normal again" however, is pure genius. I think 7 picked up a bit, but it was obvious that it was about to end even if you hadn't known about their plans. The mutiny against Buffy upset me greatly!! I just love the double episodes Suprise/Innocence, Becoming and Graduation, they're what got me really hooked in the first place I think. And I love "Hush", can't stop crying when watching "Wild at Heart", "The Gift", "The Body" or the end of "Grave"! I admire Whedon's capability to make the characters so complex that they can go bad and "recover", and still be as lovable as they used to, or even more so. Or, as with the situation of Spike, be bad and so charming you still have to like him...

Oh, I just can't decide! I liked Joyce and was so sad when she died, but I still liked how the show got a bit darker in that season. And Riley left, so that is on the plus side too!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:35 AM, June 13, 2006) : 

Wow, I'm quite good at babbling on about Buffy on a page about overpopulation, aren't I?! ;)

 

Blogger Becky Heineke said ... (10:21 AM, June 13, 2006) : 

Alright, I see we agree on the Riley issue, which is highly important. I did not like that boy. He was most definitely not worthy of the Buffster and the Initiative storyline was a little lame. And I must agree about "Normal Again." That episode shook me to the core...it was as if MY reality was being challenged, not just Buffy's (although I've learned to reconcile).

I know what you mean about the emotional pull of Season 7, too. Even though there were several episodes there in the middle that made me question where the show was going, they did turn it around in the end and the return of Faith was definitely as asset. For some reason, I never got into Faith as much as a lot of other people, which may be why I have mixed feelings about Season 3. But "Graduation Day?!" AWESOME. "Lover's Walk," "The Zeppo," and "Doppelgangland" are probably my top 3 from Season 3. Oh my God, I'm such a Buffy nerd! :)

Season 6 had it's bad moments ("Wrecked?" TERRIBLE. And the only scene I will never, ever watch again is the attempted rape in "Seeing Red." But the season started out so strongly, I can't help but have an affection for it. :)

So, looks like we've covered most everything except Season 1! It was just SO different from the rest of the series; it's almost like watching another show. But it's what got me hooked, so I can't help but love it!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:22 PM, June 13, 2006) : 

Riley was such a wuss, always moaning about everything, but I did feel really bad for Buffy when he left (as to me, she is a real person with real feelings... ;), so he dislike grew even more after that! What kind of a guy can't stand by his girlfriend when her mother is ill?! Shame on him!!

I never liked Parker either, loved Angel - of course! - and kind of got used to Spike, although it took some getting used to... But I love the way Spike and Angel are so jealous of each other, like in "End of days"/"Chosen"- hilarious!!

I agree about season 1, like a totally different show! It's kind of fun to watch now, cause it's so obvious that the actors haven't really gotten into character. But it's all so sweet. No wonder it got so popular they had to make more seasons! :) Lucky for us!!

 

post a comment

Disclaimer: The contents of this blog are based solely on the opinions the author who is not affiliated with anyone. At all. Except herself. This blog is strictly for entertainment purposes. The author would never claim to be anything less than an open liberal, but she's not operating a news organization here. In fact, it's possible she's full of crap (possible, but not likely).

Powered by Blogger