Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Let's Talk About Math!

Or as our English-speaking European friends like to call it, maths. Math(s) is not a strength for me, although I know several people who are uncommonly gifted in the area and would never disparage their knowledge just because I am not as talented as they. Once, I was watching a Nova on string theory hosted by Alan Alda, who offered up this brilliant analogy, "No matter how hard you try, you can't teach a dog physics." So true, Alan. Likewise, no matter how hard you try, you're not going to teach me theoretical mathematics.

This week, when I randomly opened up my trusty science almanac, I ran across the following in the section entitled, Record Holders: Mathematics.

Largest proper subset of real numbers: Transcendental numbers such as pi and e outnumber all other types of real numbers (such as natural numbers, signed numbers, or irrational numbers). Transcendental numbers are numbers that are not the solution to any algebraic equation.*

All I'm saying, is that back in the day, the Romans conquered most of the known world and they didn't even know about zeros. Think about it.

* Discover Science Almanac. Ed. The Editors of Discover Magazine. 2004. p. 734

Comments on "Let's Talk About Math!"

 

Blogger Nothing Really Matters said ... (10:27 AM, June 07, 2006) : 

That picture makes my eyes hurt take it down!

 

Blogger Becky Heineke said ... (10:50 AM, June 07, 2006) : 

I know! How could anyone have ever done anything using Roman numerals? It has to be the dumbest numerical system ever.

 

post a comment

Disclaimer: The contents of this blog are based solely on the opinions the author who is not affiliated with anyone. At all. Except herself. This blog is strictly for entertainment purposes. The author would never claim to be anything less than an open liberal, but she's not operating a news organization here. In fact, it's possible she's full of crap (possible, but not likely).

Powered by Blogger