Wednesday, May 24, 2006

This week in crazy...cubicles!

So, it's hump day, and I should be spouting off important-sounding statistics but, erm, I sort of forgot to bring my almanac with me this morning. I had some really great numbers on the history and future of the universe, too, that were going to make you all feel really insignificant. Oh, I can hear the groans of disappointment from here! Next week, my friends! Quickly, let's switch subjects and talk about cubicles.

Obviously, we have reached that point in our growth as a species in which there are no longer enough individual offices to hold us all. In response, man created the cubicle, a separation device which gives the appearance of privacy but somehow manages to deindividualize its occupant. Think of a corporate headquarters as an ant colony. You have a queen ant/boss in upper management who has a birthing chamber/corner office from which all relevant decisions are made. The rest of the drones/employees really don't have a say and live out their lives mindlessly doing whatever tasks have been assigned to them. I don't work in such an office, but if I did, I'm fairly certain I wouldn't like it. Ants are designed by nature to function in such a capacity. Humans, not so much.

And for some reason all this just makes me think of Derek Zoolander, "What is this? A school for ANTS?!" Ha ha. That was great.

Comments on "This week in crazy...cubicles!"

 

Blogger britpopbaby said ... (5:09 PM, May 24, 2006) : 

Zoolander!! I love that fucking film - Blue Steel! And for the record I'm never working in a cubicle - I don't care, I'll empty bins before I sit in a cubicle.

 

Blogger Becky Heineke said ... (6:32 PM, May 24, 2006) : 

I have a quasi-cubicle, but there's only five people in my office, so it's not like I'm part of the corporate machine. And trust me, it's as close as I plan on coming. Also, Zoolander? Pretty much one of the greatest films of all time. I quote it whenever possible. *cough*cough* "I think I'm getting the black lung, Pop." *snort* Now, that would be a sequel I could get behind.

 

Blogger britpopbaby said ... (4:42 AM, May 25, 2006) : 

Aah! That population thing is freaking me out!

 

Blogger Becky Heineke said ... (7:37 AM, May 25, 2006) : 

I know! Creepy, isn't it? It'll only stay if I can learn to live with it. So far, I've had to divert my eyes.

 

post a comment

Disclaimer: The contents of this blog are based solely on the opinions the author who is not affiliated with anyone. At all. Except herself. This blog is strictly for entertainment purposes. The author would never claim to be anything less than an open liberal, but she's not operating a news organization here. In fact, it's possible she's full of crap (possible, but not likely).

Powered by Blogger