Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Speaking of phones...

When I got in the car this morning, the 29-second cell phone issue was still raging on the radio, complete with a local communications commissioner doing a very pathetic job of defending his actions. In fact, he was taking such a beating I was actually having a difficult time listening, so I cranked out the Jay-Z and Linkin Park until I got to work. I briefly turned back to the radio as I pulled in the parking lot and...yeah, I think maybe that whole thing was a hoax. If so, it wasn't very funny and it made a lot of people (me included) mad. I didn't have time to listen and confirm this, but good Lord. That's, like, the worst prank ever.

So...anyway, let's look at some phone facts I know to be true, because I got them out of Newsweek. So, America, did you know that you made 500 billion calls last year? On landlines alone? (God knows how many you made on you cell phones.) Those 500 billion calls amounted to 2 trillion minutes on the phone. The form of measurement known as "trillion" is very difficult for me to comprehend, as is the fact that the people in this country alone could rack up that many minutes. Sounds like too many people on the phone.

Comments on "Speaking of phones..."

 

Blogger Nothing Really Matters said ... (12:44 PM, May 23, 2006) : 

Do you always get the engaged tone when you call people?

 

Blogger Becky Heineke said ... (1:46 PM, May 23, 2006) : 

You'd think, huh? Also, mega bonus points for use of the phrase "engaged tone!" Man, everything you Brits say just sounds so much better than we put it. :) I'm still pissed about the hoax, though. I think some people at the radio station are going to get in trouble...

 

Blogger Nothing Really Matters said ... (2:15 PM, May 23, 2006) : 

I think you should ring the radio station and demand a full report on the situation!

 

Blogger britpopbaby said ... (2:32 PM, May 23, 2006) : 

Trillions? Yeah, that's above my head too.

 

post a comment

Disclaimer: The contents of this blog are based solely on the opinions the author who is not affiliated with anyone. At all. Except herself. This blog is strictly for entertainment purposes. The author would never claim to be anything less than an open liberal, but she's not operating a news organization here. In fact, it's possible she's full of crap (possible, but not likely).

Powered by Blogger