Thursday, June 15, 2006

My beer last night cost $9...and I'm blaming overpopulation!!

What I thought I was ordering was the Belhaven draught, which would have set me back half as much. Instead, I flippantly requested the bottled version and nearly had a coronary when I was told the price. But the cap had been popped...the beer was mine.

To answer your question, it was very good, but no beer is $9 good.

It's either a truism of anthropology or something I made up, but it seems that all cultures across the globe have two things in common: some form of religion and some form of alcoholic beverage. But we no longer live in a time when we get buzzed from chewed-up corn spit fermented over several months. No, we live in an age of breweries and special brews and seasonal draughts and menus with drink descriptions paragraphs long.

Overpopulation means that everything gets complicated. No matter what the niche, it's filled to the brim (no pun...ha ha!) with variation. There wouldn't be $9 beers if there wasn't a demand for them, and there wouldn't be a demand for them if there weren't so many beer nerds out there. Whatever happened to normal beer?! No wonder everyone in this country is up to their eyeballs in debt.

Now that I have gotten that out of my system, I will try to move on. It's going to be a long day, though, because now I can't afford lunch. Sigh.

P.S. Bush was a jackass yesterday! That always gives me a happy! :)

Comments on "My beer last night cost $9...and I'm blaming overpopulation!!"

 

Blogger Linna said ... (11:29 AM, June 15, 2006) : 

I LOVE Bush-bashing!! That man is scary! Don't you think the entire world population should be able to vote in your presidential election since what those guys do effect the rest of us quite a lot as well? I so think we should, at least everyone who doesn't vote republican... ;) Can't stand their views on women's reproductive rights (how can you think there's not enough people on the planet, right? And, more importantly, women's bodily autonomy!!)

And $9 for a beer sounds pretty steep, even for Swedish standards, and alcohol over here is EXPENSIVE!! Hope it was good! ;)

 

Blogger Ninni said ... (12:03 PM, June 15, 2006) : 

Can't stand their views on women's reproductive rights

Ditto, althought I have to say I can't stand their views on anything. A bunch of selfish and greedy idiots. (oops, I'm getting a little aggressive..)

 

Blogger Ninni said ... (12:04 PM, June 15, 2006) : 

"althought"? I'm retarded on Thursdays, forgive me.

 

Blogger Becky Heineke said ... (12:15 PM, June 15, 2006) : 

I whole-heartedly agree with you both. Bush didn't win his first election and I'm not entirely convinced he won his second. He is so unbelievably inept that it's entirely possible that very soon we WON'T be effecting the rest of the world as much. He may have ruined my country and that's unforgiveable in my mind. The current administration is full of tight-ass, close-minded, arrogant, and RICH Republicans that have no clue what daily life is like in America. I am BAFFLED as to how anyone could be so disconnected to actually vote for these idiots.

Obviously this is a hot-button topic for me, so perhaps I should just concentrate on the issue at hand and say, what the HELL was with that beer?! I'm still mad at myself for being such an idiot. I lied about lunch, but I don't have enough cash on me now to buy People's Bachelor issue, which is arguably more important! DAMMIT!

 

Blogger Linna said ... (12:15 PM, June 15, 2006) : 

You're so right wesntia! It's just I got this hang up about reproductive rights, makes me very aggressive every time it comes up. Unless I happen to discuss it with people who totally agree with me of course! And if it doesn't come up, well, then I seem to bring it up... ;)

Btw, does anyone know if Bush & Co ratified the Kyoto agreement yet?

 

Blogger Becky Heineke said ... (12:16 PM, June 15, 2006) : 

Big "no" on Kyoto (bastards).

 

Blogger Linna said ... (12:24 PM, June 15, 2006) : 

I'm sorry that you feel so let down by "your" government, but to me it is kind of refreshing to realize that not all Americans agree with Bush. As someone who doesn't know any Americans, it sometimes seems like the whole country's just crazy when they re-elected that idiot after his first 4 years were over ("re-elect" being highly disputable however...)

 

Blogger Linna said ... (12:24 PM, June 15, 2006) : 

Oh, too bad, I thought it was making progress :(

 

Blogger Nothing Really Matters said ... (1:23 PM, June 15, 2006) : 

$9 PG thank like £5 OMG You must be rich! Or was that the only drink you brought??? How rich must the people be that own the bar??

Bush is very naughty!

 

Blogger Becky Heineke said ... (1:58 PM, June 15, 2006) : 

Sadly, nrm, I am far from rich. I can blame that on Bush, too, for only giving rich people tax breaks. And dude, it was a Scottish beer, so you could probably walk into a bar and get the same thing for a fraction of what I paid!

 

Blogger Becky Heineke said ... (5:08 PM, June 16, 2006) : 

Joyce, your country is far too lovely to be fighting amongst itself! Damn, but I'm even MORE mad now that my theory has been supported! Too bad all American beers are crap. Then I wouldn't have to fork over the bucks to get a decent import. A country full of entreprenuers and all we come up with is Budweiser. Sheesh.

 

Blogger Ninni said ... (5:15 PM, June 16, 2006) : 

The thing that scares me most about Bush is that I have a nagging feeling the shit hasn't hit the fan yet. And really, what else could he do? He started a war, gave everybody the right to pollute, killed UN (or what was left of it) and international diplomacy in general, impoverished his own citizens, destroyed public schooling and health care...really, what else can he do? I don't wanna know, but I think I'm gonna know before the end of his term.

And the beer issue...that's why I don't drink beer, I drink vodka :P It's cheaper and it tastes better.

 

Blogger Becky Heineke said ... (6:03 PM, June 16, 2006) : 

Ah, yes. Hard liquor. Always the better choice! :)

What I'm concerned about is that now that we "got" Zarqawi, people are going to start looking away again. It's like any little change in things and public opinion twists and turns with the wind. I hope to God you aren't right, but I can't help but cautiously agree with you.

 

post a comment

Disclaimer: The contents of this blog are based solely on the opinions the author who is not affiliated with anyone. At all. Except herself. This blog is strictly for entertainment purposes. The author would never claim to be anything less than an open liberal, but she's not operating a news organization here. In fact, it's possible she's full of crap (possible, but not likely).

Powered by Blogger